Thursday, February 11, 2010

January's Book - Religion Saves

And now for the second addition of... "The world really does care about my opinion so I'll tell you what I think about the books I read." Or "Book Reviews" for short. I know nothing about literature. I can't tell you about imagery or prose or onomatopoeia... but I can tell you what I like or dislike so here goes.

Religion Saves
+ NINE other MISCONCEPTIONS
by Mark Driscoll
pub. Crossway Books


"Religious people mistakenly think that they are saving people from such things as a fruitless life, sinful sex, bad relationships, unholy humor, wayard churches, evil birth control, and what they call 'strange fire.' However, religion never saved anyone, and religious answers to complex questions are simply misconceptions." - Mark Driscoll of Mars Hill Church (back of book)



Book's premise (
no spoiler): "... we tried an experiment, opening up a section of our church's Web site for people to post any question, make comments about posted questions and vote... for their favorite question. ...And in the end, 893 questions were asked, 5,524 comments were made, and 343,203 votes were cast. I (Pastor Driscoll) answered the top nine questions in a sermon devoted to each. Here in the book we'll start with the ninth most popular question and work our way to the most popular question." - take from the first page of the book's introduction

What NINE questions does Mark answer in the book:

Question 9: Birth Control - There's no doubt the Bible says children are a blessing, but the Bible doesn't seem to address the specific topic of birth control. Is this a black-and-white topic, or does it fall under liberties?

Question 8: Humor - Why do you make jokes in sermons about Mormon missionaries, homosexuals, trench coat wearers, single men, vegans, and emo kids, and then expect these groups to come go know God through these sermons?

Question 7: Predestination - Why does an all-loving, all-knowing, and all-sovereign God will into creation people he foreknows will suffer eternal condemnation - and the Romans 9:20 answer seems like a cop-out!

Question 6: Grace - Of all the things you teach, what parts of Christianity do you still wrestle with? What's hardest for you to believe?

Question 5: Sexual Sin - How should Christian men and women go about breaking free from the bondage of sexual sin?

Question 4: Faith and Works - If salvation is by faith alone, then why are there so many verses that say or imply the opposite - that salvation is by works?

Question 3: Dating - How does a Christian date righteously, and what are the physical, emotional, and mentally connecting boundaries a Christian must set while developing an intimate relationship prior to marriage?

Question 2: The Emerging Church - What can traditional or established churches learn from "emerging" churches?

Question 1: The Regulative Principle - Do you believe that Scripture not only regulates our theology but also our methodology? In other words, do you believe in the regulative principle? If so, to what degree? If not, why not?


What I liked about the book: Just about everything!! I have to admit, I'm a big Driscoll fan. Admittedly, this is the first "book" I've read of his (although I have downloaded and read some of his free e-booklets). But I do listen to his sermons online and I am a regular reader of his church's blog. Pastor Driscoll tends not to pull his punches. He makes no apologies for his theology... regardless of who may be offended. That said, he doesn't offend needlessly. The book itself is pretty thorough yet not too lengthy. Good questions - Challenging/ encouraging answers.

What I didn't like about the book: Only this: Pastor Mark writes like he speaks. He is at times a little long-winded. And his thought train, while perfect for conversation or sermon, can be just a tiny bit confusing to read. Seriously, that's the only bad thing I have to say about this book.

Also, if you're a fan of guys like Bell, McLaren, Pagitt, Chalke, etc... you will HATE chapter 2.

I loved it.

Favorite passage:
Hard to say. My favorite chapter is the one on Grace (chapter 6). Try this: "Therefore, my sin is not the hardest part of Christian truth to believe. What I sometimes find hard to believe is that God responds to me with pure grace. I receive grace not despite being undeserving--as one who has not merited grace--but actually as one who is ill-deserving because I am a sinful rebel at war with God (Chapter 6 - pg 110)."

Random passage: "Proverbs makes fun of all kinds of people, especially the sluggard, who, by definition, is someone so lazy that he experiences devolution on his way to becoming a slug (Chapter 2 - pg 54)."

My Rating: 5 out of 5 stars!

1 comments:

Josh Barton said...

I have not read this book, I doubt I ever will. I may read Chapter 2, not because I don't like "those" guys, because I actually really like Bell. I have issues with Driscoll mostly because he is a jerk. It is easy to disguise his jerkiness as a "straight-forward talking, keeping it real, telling it like it is, being a strong voice in the Christian world", and I think he has done more damage than good with his reinforcing of unwholesome talk.
But... I have never liked Driscoll, I do like Bell, so that in itself will play a role in my feelings of the book.
Let's grab coffee and bag on each other's guys! (ha, sounds like fun)
ps. Bell loves Jesus despite what Driscoll might say.