Friday, January 16, 2009

Youth Ministry 3.0

I've decided to add a new segment to the blog. It's what I call "The world really does care about my opinion so I'll tell you what I think about the books I read." Or "Book Reviews" for short. I know nothing about literature. I can't tell you about imagery or prose or onomatopoeia... but I can tell you what I like or dislike so here goes.

Youth Ministry 3.0:
A Manifesto of Where We've Been, Where We Are, and Where We Need to Go
by Mark Oestreicher
pub. Zondervan
dis. Youth Specialties

"Over the past several decades there have been three significant shifts in youth culture; each new shift brought with it different values and priorities in the lives of teens. Youth ministries adapted and responded to the first two shifts, but we're missing the boat on the third. The result? Youth ministry isn't addressing the realities and needs of today's youth culture. After nearly three decades in youth ministry, Mark Oestreicher has lived through a lot of those shifts himself. In recent years, he's found himself wondering what needs to change, especially since so much of what we're doing in youth ministry today isn't working (youth specialties)."



Book's premise (no spoiler): Using a clever analogy that equates technology to ministry, Mark is challenging the youth workers of America to re-think the way we do ministry. His suggestion is that youth ministry is still largely program driven and will only survive with a major overhaul. "The problem is this: The way we're doing things is already not working. We're failing at our calling. And deep down, most of us know it. This is why we need an epochal shift in our assumptions, approaches, models, and methods (pg 20)."

What I liked about the book:
The first half of the book is a brief look into the psychology of adolescence. Over the last 50 years, adolescence has gone through 3 major shifts. We are in the middle of the 3rd shift. Assuming Mark is accurate in this description, this truth will prove extremely helpful in reaching teens.

What I didn't like about the book: The second half of the book is Mark's opinion on what to do with that information. Without delving into specifics, I think his suggestion is an over-correction. I do no like the suggestion that moving from what he calls Youth Ministry 2.0 to the new and improved 3.0 will require a major deconstruction of our youth groups as we know them. "One of the most important, dangerous, and courageous steps that any youth ministry needs to take if it's going to make the shift from Youth Ministry 2.0 to Youth Ministry 3.0 is to cut programs... The road forward must first go through the valley of doing less (pp 97 & 98)."

Favorite passage:
"It's easy to see this quest for affinity in teenagers. They desperately desire to be included, to be a part of a social network, to feel as though as they belong somewhere (pg 41)."

Random passage: "What we must do as youth ministers is what Nelson Mandela did as a prisoner at Robben Islens: Discern the best way to use the times we're in to prepare young people to live in the world differently than most, as disciples of Jesus Christ (pg 12)."

My Rating:



Who might love this book: Tom Mulhern

Who might hate this book: Doug and Steve

Where I got it: Ryan bought it for me... that guy LOVES Amazon.

Have you read it? Comment!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's true...I do really like Amazon. Thanks for reading the book.

emergentjourney said...

I think that this sounds like what a lot of voices in youth ministry are saying that we need to move from programs to relationships. The shift is essential if our youth ministries are going to survive.

However, actually making the shift is more difficult than it sounds. We still have parents and sr. pastors who want strong programs with lots of kids. I think that this shift is more difficult than we know.

I struggle to make this shift happen in my own ministry as well. have you read
Contemplative Youth Ministry by Mark Yaconelli? Its in the same stream.