Thursday, November 27, 2008

6YearMed: Dayenu

I love stories. I love telling them... I love hearing them. That's why the 'blogosphere' has such a draw to me. All over the world, stories are unfolding. And all over the world, people are desperate to share their stories with whomever will listen.


One particular blog that I follow is written by a woman named Danielle. She is currently a "6th year med student." She is currently working in a Neonatal ICU. She is a deep and passionate and gifted writer. As a doctor, she is close to many beautiful, or heartwarming, or funny, or sometimes tragic stories.

Dayenu

The Neonatal Intensive Care Unit is by far the most emotionally charged placed I have ever stepped foot in. The highs are high and the lows are devastatingly low. It is the first time since becoming a physician that I actually feel like someone's doctor. My parents will see me in the hall and wave, and every family member who visits their respective isolette asks to shake my hand. "So YOU'RE Sophie's doctor! Nice to meet you."

I recently discharged a baby boy home to his parents who had been waiting years for a baby. They struggled with infertility and multiple pregnancy losses until one day, they found themselves pregnant with twins. Two boys, who they gave strong, Biblical names. And then one day, and many weeks too soon, they met them. And while all I could think of was how unfair and sorry I was that they would only take one baby home from the hospital, their mom, a strong and compassionate woman with happy eyes, came back on Monday with a basket full of cookies. She brought them to the front desk, and asked to see, me, her boy's doctor.

She was thankful for all the care they received, and for her one baby who was home asleep on his daddy's chest. And for the moments she was allowed with her other son, right here, in this very hospital, before he had left us.

If I would have become a mommy, even for a moment, it would have been enough, and we are thankful.

But now I have one son, and he has blue eyes and perfect, kissable cheeks.

Dayenu.

If I had been born in the most prosperous country in the world, it would have been enough.

If I had been given shelter and food and education, it would have been enough.

If I had been raised by loving and gentle parents, it would have been enough.

If he had recovered from cancer, it would have been enough.

If I had been granted a job and friends and stability, it would have been enough.

But it's always more.

It would have been enough, and I am thankful.

1 comments:

Danielle said...

Thanks for the link. Glad you enjoyed the post.