Tuesday, November 11, 2008

What I was trying to say...

A few days ago, I wrote a blog entitled "How Can a Thinking Christian _________?!" In it I expressed my recent disappointment with my Brothers and Sisters in the Church who have (I believe) gotten a bit off track with all of the hate they've been spewing. Perhaps my words were maybe a bit harsh (at least that's what I've been told). While I won't retract my sentiments, perhaps this will help explain my heart further... and more eloquently. I came across this article on the Relevant website. These are just excerpts, please visit the website if you'd like to read the whole article.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Battle of Words
by Travis Mamone
at RelevantMagazine.com

"When I first became a Christian, I was excited to learn from fellow believers all over the web and share my walk with them. Over the years, however, I’ve been seeing more and more arguments, debates and name-calling. It’s either one side accusing another of being “fundamentalist Pharisees” or someone being called a “liberal heathen.” And I, unfortunately, have participated in such arguments. So much for One God, One Faith, One Baptism.

I remember one person in particular, who used to frequent a Christian community on LiveJournal.... Whenever someone disagreed with her, she accused them of not reading their Bible enough or being “liberal heathens.” This was a person who was not happy until she had proven that she was right and everyone else was wrong. ...

But is all this arguing really worth it? Are we really teaching and correcting one another, or are we just tearing each other apart? The Bible says, “Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen” (Ephesians 4:29). I don’t know about you, but to me arguing and name-calling are not very helpful...

...I pray for a great sense of unity within the Body of Christ. May we realize that we are all learning how all of this works, and that no one is perfect. And I’m praying for myself as much as I am praying for the Church."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lastly, I encourage you with a word from The Word.

But avoid foolish controversies, genealogies, dissensions, and quarrels about the law, for they are unprofitable and worthless. As for a person who stirs up division, after warning him once and then twice, have nothing more to do with him, knowing that such a person is warped and sinful; he is self-condemned. Titus 3:9-11 (ESV)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you SO much for posting this little Brother. I agree with you and beyond know where you're coming from right now.

Anonymous said...

Word

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting that, I may just put it up on my blog as well. I thought you said it well also though.

Kalb the Reformer said...

Hey Greg,

Thanks for your Christ-centered message. Isn't our God great? The scriptures you've listed are a very helpful reminder not allow our hearts to get too wrapped up in politics- and to find our unity in Christ through His church.